Rules & Regulations
We are so excited to have the privilege of hosting you and your equine teammates at the Bismarck Horse Club!
Below is the liability release agreed to by all members upon purchasing your annual membership.
Happy Trails! :)
General Show / Playday / BHC Rules
1. An exhibitor must be a fully paid member of the BHC to be allowed to be mounted
2. A parent, legal guardian or responsible adult over 18 years of age must be on the
premises at all times for all youth, ages 17 and under. Should the youth not have
supervision, they will not be allowed to participate in any events and the horse will
be stalled until supervision is restored. Any fees paid for participation will be
forfeited for events missed during the absence of supervision.
3. An exhibitor must have a signed “liability release” disclaimer, for the current year,
on file with the Playday committee to be allowed to be mounted or show.
4. Registration closes at 5PM THE MONDAY PRIOR TO THE SHOW. No adding
classes after this time. Scratches will be allowed. There will be NO same day
5. Exhibitor numbers received at registration will continue to be used throughout the
show year. Please KEEP YOUR NUMBER. We would prefer that numbers be
attached to both sides of the horse saddle blanket versus pinned on the back of
6. Age, for purposes of age divisions, will be calculated as of January 1st of the
competition year. Each rider will remain in the same age group for the remainder
of the show season.
7. Age divisions for western and speed events are as follows:
o Walk/Trot 7 and under
o Children’s 8 – 11*
o Junior’s 12 –14
o Senior’s 15 – 18
o Adult’s 19 & over
*For English events, Children ride in the Junior age group.
8. Certain events do not have categories for all aged riders. If a rider chooses to
enter one of these classes in an older age group, they will be judged in that age
group. The points earned in that class will not be eligible for all-around or high
point year-end prizes. The points will be eligible for year-end awards in that class
only. For example: if a 9 year old wants to ride in Reining, she/he will compete in
the Junior age group for Reining. The points she/he earns in will not be counted
towards the all-around or high point year-end prizes but she/he could be placed in
the class for the year.
9. Horses are to be warmed up and exercised in arenas only. Only walking and
trotting is allowed outside of the arenas, this includes the parking lot.
o First violation: verbal warning
o Second violation: suspended from next event scheduled to perform
o Third violation: suspended from remaining events of the day.
10.Show management reserves the right to offer cash-payback for one or more
shows and for one or more age divisions at some point throughout the show year.
11.All shows and events are weather dependent. Show management will make the
final decision as to postpone, move, or cancel any show/event due to inclement
weather. Please check Facebook & www.bismarckhorseclub.com for
12. Riders must ride a family owned or leased horse under their direct care, unless
approved by the board.
13.If your horse kicks, please tie a red ribbon in its tail.
14. Unruly/unsafe horses, as deemed by show management, will be asked to leave
the premises or stalled until completion of the show. All fees for missed classes
will be forfeited.
15.Horses may only be tied to horse trailers or in their stalls. Tying to fences, arena
panels, or trees is not allowed. Horses are allowed to be turned loose in corrals,
but overnight boarding in these corrals is prohibited unless cleared by the BHC
Board. These corrals are available on a first come, first serve basis for a fee.
16.No horses are allowed within the fenced in shelter area of the park.
17.The judge’s word is final. All questions for the judge must first be addressed to the
ring steward. The Playday committee/show management reserves the right to
hire/appoint multiple judges within the same show.
18.The Playday committee/show management reserves the right to judge, oversee,
or appoint game and speed event officials. All decisions made by these
appointees/judges are final.
19. Any questions or concerns may be addressed to the Playday committee/show
management prior to the start of the next event or age division.
Classes and Procedure Rules
20. The order of participants in a class will be run from the gate or the crows nest at
the playday committee/show management’s discretion. An exhibitor will be
allowed 3 gate calls for their class. If the exhibitor is not present and ready to
enter the arena at the third and final call, they will not be allowed to compete in
that event. All fees will be forfeited for that class.
21. Notify the announcer or ring steward of any tack changes that may be cause for
22. “Runs” in timed events are not to begin until all arena gates are closed and
secure. Running through the gates will not be allowed. The horse must enter
the arena in a controlled manner.
o Rider must be mounted prior to horse crossing the time line.
23.The Playday committee/show management reserves the right to offer a “Fun
Event” free of charge for anyone to participate in. There will be a special award
given for the winner of this class each day. Points earned in this class do not
count for daily or year end awards.
24.Each exhibitor will be allowed 30 seconds for an attempt at each trail obstacle. If
the exhibitor has been unable to make reasonable progress (as deemed by the
judge) on an obstacle, they will be asked to move on, resulting in no score for that
obstacle. Should this occur more three times within the same pattern, the
exhibitor will be asked to leave the arena.
25.Horse/Rider combination entered in the All Ages Walk/Trot & All Ages
Walk/Trot Trail will not be eligible to compete in any other classes EXCEPT
for Showmanship & Trail. Points will not be given in the All Ages Walk/Trot or
All Ages Walk/Trot Trail nor will they count towards year end awards.
26. The Playday committee and/or board reserve the right to allow exhibitors with
disabilities to participate in class levels below their required age category as long
as the participation in said class level is consistent throughout the season. Said
exhibitor shall be eligible for points according to the system outlined for that class
level in the BHC Playday rules. A waiver of liability must be on file according to
BHC rules, and due caution and care necessary to ensure the safety of said
participant rests on the responsible party(ies) of said participant.
27.An exhibitor entered in lead-line cannot enter into any other events.
28. For purposes of Walk/Trot games/speed events:
• a horse/exhibitor combination that breaks stride to a lope for more than
three strides through the pattern will be disqualified from that class.
• Entries led by parents will be placed AFTER children that ride
• The Playday committee and/or board reserve the right to utilize a nonstandard pattern for Walk/trot events.
• The Playday committee and/or board reserve the right to “bump up” a
Walk/Trot competitor to the next age division per the request of the parents
29. Please refer to the ND State 4-H Guidebook for official rules.
30. Appropriate tack and equipment is expected and will be enforced.
o Only one hand at a time may be used (in western performance events) on the
reins if the horse is 6 years old or older. Two-handing a horse may result in
disqualification. Special considerations may be made for exhibitors under 8
o In western performance events, a bit with a shank and leverage action is
required for all horses 6 years old and older and exhibitor must ride with only
one hand on the reins.
o Event-appropriate boots with a low or dropped heel are required for every
▪ Muck boots, overshoes, “heels-down” shoes and other substitutes will
not be allowed.
o Western hats or helmets and long-sleeved shirts are required for all Western
o Short-sleeved shirts and T-shirts are allowed for game events only. No
sleeveless shirts/tank tops. Baseball caps are not allowed.
o Helmets are strongly encouraged, but optional.
o English attire is required for all English events. Jackets may be optional on
exceptionally warm days at the discretion of that day’s judge. Helmets are
31.In most cases the judge will provide his/her own patterns, as necessary, show
management may develop their own patterns (i.e. Trail).
o The patterns allowed in reining will be limited to reining pattern No 1 and No 2
in the ND State 4-H Guidebook.
o Patterns will be posted or announced a minimum of 1 hour in advance. The
judge reserves the right to verbally describe patterns versus using a
written/drawn pattern. The judge reserves the right to change/alter a posted
pattern; all changes will be dually communicated to all exhibitors.
o Rail work/pattern use will be at the discretion of the judge.
Entry and Fee Rules
32.All riders – including Leadline – MUST be members of the Bismarck Horse
Club to participate in the Playdays. Trial memberships are no longer available.
Entry fees & membership fees must be paid in full prior to riding in your first event,
or 10 a.m., whichever is first. Failure to do so will result in disqualification of any
event until fees are paid.
33.Exhibition rides will be allowed. The exhibitor will be required to pay a $5 entry fee
for each exhibition ride/horse/event and sign a liability release. Exhibition rides will
not be judged, nor will they be eligible for placing or awards.
• Exhibition rides must be designated prior to the exhibitor
participating in that class on any horse.
34. A rider may ride two or more horses in a single event (with the exception of
Hunter Under Saddle, Equitation, Hunter Hack, Showmanship, Pleasure, and
• For each additional horse, the rider is required to pay an additional $5
• One horse must be designated the competition horse and one the
• The points earned by the competition horse will be the only ones
considered for daily award points and year-end points.
35. No refunds will be given for scratched events/entries or for disqualified
exhibitors. Unforeseen emergencies will be taken into consideration.
36.Anyone paying by check whose check is returned unpaid for any reason will
be responsible for paying the amount of the original check, plus any fees
assessed by the bank in cash.
• All awards, points, and considerations will be withheld until payment is
reached in full.
• Failure to pay dept will result in forfeiture of any and all awards, points and
considerations for that year’s BHC events.
• Additionally, the committee and/or Board reserves the right to refuse
payments made by “check” at any time.
37. To be considered for All-around year-end awards, an exhibitor must
participate in a minimum of 2 Playdays.
38.An exhibitor must compete in a class at least twice to be eligible for yearend awards in that class.
39.If there are multiple age groups competing in the same class, points will be
awarded to the individuals according to their normal age group.
For example: If an 8-11 rider compete in the Open Hunter Hack and places 3rd
out of 6, they will receive 4 points towards their age group’s awards and
towards the English awards.
40.Points for events are awarded in the following manner:
No. of entries 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th
2 2 1
3 3 2 1
4 4 3 2 1
5 5 4 3 2 1
6 or more 6 5 4 3 2 1
o Entries are based on the number of exhibitors that entered the arena that
are being judged. A disqualification does not result in fewer entries.
41.Daily award ties will be broken in the following manner:
o Whoever participated in the most classes
o Whoever earned the most first placings throughout the day
o Whoever earned the most placings throughout the day
42.Year-end High-point ties will be broken in the following manner:
o Whoever participated in the most Playdays
o Whoever had the most placings in that event during the year
o Whoever participated in the most events during the course of the year
Adopted: March 2010
Revised: May 2, 2010. October 30, 2010, April 23, 2014, May 4, 2017